This spread is so delicious you will want to eat the whole jar in one sitting! I used to love Nutella before I started eating a plant-based diet. Now I enjoy a healthier version of it — I hope you enjoy it too!
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 8 large dates
- 1 cup (237 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups (260 gm) unsalted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) melted extra virgin, unfiltered, organic coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Madagascar vanilla extract
- A pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- 2/3 cup (65 gm) raw, organic cacao powder, or carob powder if you don’t eat chocolate
- Rehydrate the dates by soaking them in the unsweetened coconut milk for an hour. Reserve the coconut milk for later use.
- Roast the hazelnuts at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius) for 15 minutes, then give them a good rub with a towel to remove the skins.
- Process the hazelnuts and dates together in a high-speed blender until they turn into smooth butter. Use the tamper often to make sure the ingredients blend well. If you don’t have a high-speed blender a food processor works fine too.
- Combine the remaining ingredients with the date and hazelnut butter. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Pour the mixture into a mason jar or any glass container and keep refrigerated. Enjoy this delightful spread on toasted bread, over fruit, or just grab a spoon and dig in!!!
Call to Action
Dates fruit has a long history in many cultures around the world, but did you know these yummy treats come with a ton of health benefits? I challenge you to ditch refined sugars and start using dates fruit as a wholesome sugar alternative.
Our next plant-based recipe will be published on September 28.
All Scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®. Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide.