This is a versatile Indian recipe that you and your family are sure to enjoy!
Butternut Squash Stir Fry (Indian Style)
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) grated butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds/ mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons urad dal / black lentils (split)
- 2 teaspoons chickpeas (split)
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup Fresh grated coconut/coconut flakes
- 1 whole cayenne pepper (optional)
Before beginning, consider if you'd like to serve this butternut squash stir fry with rice or something else (see #7 below) and plan accordingly.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil on a heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat.
- Add the black sesame seeds, urad dal, chick peas and fennel seeds. Allow them to crackle. Roast the urad dal until it gets lightly browned.
- Once the urad dal is golden brown and crisp, add the ginger, curry leaves, cayenne pepper (optional), chopped onion, butternut squash, turmeric, and salt to taste.
- Give the squash a stir and saute till the squash is cooked and turn off the heat.
- Once done, add the grated coconut, give the butternut squash a mix and check the salt and adjust to suit your taste.
- Add more coconut if required. Turn off the heat and serve the butternut squash stir fry warm.
- Consider serving the butternut squash stir fry along with flat bread, steamed rice / quinoa or lentils / beans for lunch or dinner.
Call to Action
To prepare a healthy recipe on a daily basis we need to choose the best ingredients. Likewise in order to build a healthy body (temple of God — see 1 Corinthians 6:19) and mind, we need to choose the best spiritual ingredients. These ingredients are found in the following Bible passage:
Let us walk daily being full of these spiritual ingredients! Let us glorify our Lord Jesus Christ by walking in His Spirit and letting His love shine through us.
Our next plant-based recipe will be published on February 1.
Add new comment